Are you interested in learning Calathea Prayer Pant Care, and if so you are on the right website? Rare Exotic Plants always provides you the most information on growing and caring for houseplants, once you read this article you will be able to care for and grow this special houseplant?
Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase is through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. You will not pay more by clicking through to the link. No secrets or surprises on Rare Exotic Plants, you can read exactly what to expect by reading my affiliate disclosure?
Maranta Red Prayer Plant
Maranta Red Prayer Plant
The Maranta Red Prayer Plant is famous for the red veining on its green leaves. Keep it near a window sill, in your office, or around the patio with damp soil and a light misting for amazing results that will catch you off guard! The Red Prayer plant gets its name from the way the leaves fold when the sun goes down – they slowly light upward and into a shape that resembles folded hands in prayer.
- Prefers bright to indirect sunlight but can handle low light conditions
- The prayer plant prefers well-drained soil and requires high humidity to thrive
- Fertilize your prayer plant every two weeks from early spring through fall
- Around 60-80°F usually does great with the Maranta Red Prayer
- This plant is non-toxic to pets
The Prayer Plant is another easy-to-care-for houseplant, once you complete reading my article you will know if this is the right one for you? A great choice for apartments and homes with low light during the winter months, I live in the state of Pennsylvania where our winters are cloudy, cold with little sunshine? If your climate is similar, you might want to consider adding one of these to your indoor gardening collection?
Easy To Care For Houseplant LIst
Since we are talking about easy to care for plants, I feel it is only right to provide you this list. You will find a nice variety of choices to consider, I feel positive at least one of these will appeal to you? Now on to the easiest ones to grow, and these are your best gift choices for garden lovers as well?
- Monstera Split-Leaf
- ZZ Plant
- Pothos n Joy
- Monstera Split-Leaf Minima
- Golden Pothos
- Snake Plant Laurentii
- White Butterfly Syngonium
- Pothos Snow Queen
- Pothos Satin
- Philodendron Brasil
- Pothos Neon
- Dracaena Janet Craig
- Elephant Bush Succulent
- Philodendron Coratum Heartleaf
- Peperomia Rosso
- Philodendron Birkin
- Hoya Sweetheart
- Aloe Vera
- Lemon Surprise Dracaena Deremensis is one of my favorites in my own indoor garden collection, I have it far from my balcony window and it is doing just fine? I was very impressed with this addition to my apartment, you will not be disappointed how it brightens your room?
- Peperomia Ginny
- String of Bananas
- Peperomia Green Bean is a trailing plant
- Fiscus Elastica Ruby Pink
- Dracaena Song of India
- Black Robusta Snake Plant
- Dracaena Sted Sol Cane
- Peperomia Marble
- Black Gold Snake Plant
- Snake Plant Star Fish
- Snake Plant Moonshine
- Philodendron Prince of Orange
- Snake Plant Zelanica
- Dracaena Marginiata Cane
- Braided Snake Plant
- Philodendron Moonlight
- Philodendron Congo Rojo
- Syngonium Strawberry
- Pothos Green Queen
- Peperomia Watermelon is another one that I just love, I could not find any plant to grow on my kitchen table with extremely low light. This one is doing fantastic, you will love the watermelon leaves that will impress your guests?
This is not even a complete list, but I need to get to writing what this article is actually about? I know from my own experience low light easy to care for plants are in big demand, so by me providing you these you are not wasting your money on houseplants that require extensive care?
Calathea Ornata Houseplants
Calatheas are from the family Marantaceae and are naturally found in low-lit jungles under shaded trees. These vibrant plants usually have wide and colorful green leaves in order to help them absorb as much light as they can possibly get. Their leaves also fold up at night to conserve energy and spread back out during the day. Since they are naturally found in shaded conditions, these little guys are perfect for low-lit rooms and offices that need a touch of brightness!
Be careful when watering. They love moist soil, however, too much water can drown them. Water your plant when they have about 1-2 inches of dry soil, and make sure to use room temperature distilled or purified water.
These prefer to grow in shaded rooms with medium-indirect light
Make sure to mist them often as they thrive in humidity!
These are non-toxic to pets
I chose this houseplant because I just love the beautiful variegated unique leave patterns, you will also find they are extremely beginner-friendly? If you are looking for an eye-catching home decor addition, I am happy to recommend this plant to you?
Meet The Calathea
Are you in need of a medium to a low light houseplant, you will not find a better choice that is also extremely easy to grow? I was shopping for a plant that would do well during my dark Pennsylvania winters, I have confidence I have made the best choice.
- Eye-catching leave patterns all your round
- Extremely effective air cleansing plant
Attention, you must never expose this to direct sunlight? You will for sure lose this beautiful houseplant? Direct sun will burn your plant in a very short time, so you must pay attention to the sunlight in your home all year round? I love the one I have in my apartment, you will find it difficult to find a more beautiful plant that will grow in low light successfully?
Interesting Calathea Facts
Even though the leave patterns are what makes this beautiful and interesting, you might be interested in knowing even more about this amazing plant? Read on to learn more about them, I know you are going to fall in love with this just as I have?
- Easy to grow
- Bright indirect light to low light
- Moderate to fast to grow
- Makes a big impact in a very short time
- The beautiful pattern leaves are as long as 12 inches
- Mine has beautiful burgundy underneath leaves
- Upright plant 6 to 36 inches in height
- The average width is 6 to 24 inches
- You can relax with children and pets with this particular houseplant
- Several varieties to choose from
How are you finding this article so far, you are more than welcome to share it with your family and your friends? I am sure my next paragraph will assist you in deciding if this is the right plant for you? Let us learn even more to help you decide, I thank you for visiting Rare Exotic Plants?
Lemon Lime Prayer Plant
The Maranta Lemon Lime Prayer Plant has a lovely soft green tone with electric green veins that stretch from the center. Keep it near a window sill, in your office, or around the patio with damp soil and a light misting for amazing results that will catch you off guard! The Lemon Lime Prayer Plant gets its name from the way the leaves fold upward and resemble hands folded in prayer when the sun goes down.
Keep watered regularly. The prayer plant prefers well-drained soil and requires high humidity to thrive.
This plant prefers bright to indirect sunlight but can handle low light conditions.
Around 60-80°F is ideal for this plant.
This plant is non-toxic to pets.
This is another beautiful variety that just might appeal to you, I am a huge fan every since purchasing mine? Every time I look at it, I can’t help from feeling warm inside? This is one of my favorites in my own indoor garden, I would never think twice about adding more of these to my garden decor?
How To Grow Calathea Plants
I thank you for your patience, you see I am just so proud of this plant variety? This has really brightened up my place by adding just one of these, you can be sure there will be more in my apartment in the near future.
- Best places in your home
- The temperature requirements for the best-growing success
- How to provide the proper humidity
- What potting soil mix is the best
- Choosing your container pot
Once you understand the requirements above growing this houseplant will be a piece of cake, I am going to provide you more information on each of these? It really means the most to me that you experience success, I would not want you to spend your money only to lose your precious plant?
Best Place For Your Plant?
You more likely have lost houseplants by having them in the wrong place, what you will find the most important factors I have shared with you below?
- Indirect light or low light
- Avoid direct sunlight areas
- You may have to move your plant depending on your seasons
- Never place them where they are going to be exposed to cold drafts
- I have found mine is doing amazing between 3 feet and 7 feet from my balcony window
- Keep them a distance from air conditioners and heating vents as well
The most important thing is to avoid direct sunlight on your plant all year round, and never allow it to be near cold drafts such as doors and windows. Tropical plants don’t do well if they receive cold air, so you want your plant far enough from any doors or windows you might be opening that might expose them to a cold draft.
Best Temperatures For Calathea Plants?
Temperature is very important for the majority of your houseplants, so you want to make it a point to know what each of your plants needs to do their best? That is what is next for you to understand, we all must learn by reading articles such as this one?
- Temperatures similar to their native environment are the key to success, you will find between 65 degrees and 85 degrees is what they love the best?
- Never allow below 65 degrees, you more likely will lose your tropical plants?
- Tropical plants can not survive very long below 65 degrees, so this is the most important temperature tip I have for you to remember?
I am sure you are learning so much by reading my article, but if you have any questions be sure to leave them in the comments section? You also can sign up for automatic new post notifications, I provide this for your convenience and you will not receive any promotional mail from me.
My Pride And Joy Calathea
This is the one I choose out of all the varieties, so I would love to hear what you think about my choice? Here is a little information about the Makoyana, I just could not resist sharing my own plant with you?
The leaves of the Makoyana have a beautiful distinct pattern. The Makoyana Plants, native to tropical South and Central America, Africa, and the West Indies, are grown primarily for their beautiful, brightly colored, upright, oval leaves. The base color of the Makoyana is a beautiful light green with dark green paintbrush strokes across the leaves. The underside of the plant is a beautiful pinkish color. This beautiful plant is a show stopper and would look beautiful as a centerpiece in any room.
Be careful when watering. They love moist soil, however, too much water can drown them. Water your them when they have about 1-2 inches of dry soil, and make sure to use room temperature distilled or purified water.
Prefer to grow in shaded rooms with indirect light. The Makoyana will do best in low to medium indirect light.
Thrive in humidity! Be sure to mist often!
Non-toxic to pets
Now that you have met the very special plant of my own indoor garden collection, we will continue with how to care for them? Please consider adding one of these to your own collection of houseplants, I promise you that you will never be sorry that you did.
Providing Proper Humidity
Many times humidity or the lack of it can be a problem for some folks, but there are some simple methods you can use to solve this problem? This might be old news to some of you, but purchasing a plant moisture meter is the best investment you can make for houseplant success?
- Humidity levels between 50 to 80 percent are what you are wanting to go for, and you will find the majority of your houseplants will do well with this level of humidity as well?
- By placing a humidifier in the room is one option to consider?
- I prefer to place a small bottle or jar of water in each of my plants’ pots with them, since I have a large collection this works very well for me?
- If you only have a few plants portable humidifiers work as well
- Water trays are another option you can use to provide extra moisture
- Misting your plant leaves weekly is a good habit to get into
- If your containers are small you can set the plants on top of the water trays by adding pebbles, you never want to sit them on these trays with just water.
- I prefer placing a bottle or jar in each of my plant’s pots instead, but that is just what works for me, so experiment.
The lack of moist air is often the most common problem for tropical plants during cold winter areas, so you might want to keep your heating system lower, even if you need to bundle up a little more indoors?
Potting Mix For Calathea Plants?
Every potting mix is not the same, so that is why you see so many varieties to choose from? You would never want to use the wrong type of potting mix, even if your plants survive you are risking losing them? This is another confusing choice that can frustrate indoor gardeners, now let us see what are our best choices?
- Choose a potting mix that retains water, but yet is well-draining?
- Root rot is a common problem from over-watering your plants?
- A slightly acid potting mix is your best choice, you will want to look for a PH of 6.5.
- I use an African Violet potting mix instead of an all-purpose one, I find this provides the best nutrients and acid my plant requires?
For anyone interested in going with African Violet potting mix, I have provided you this link by doing a search for you? You can click on the link here to shop, I did this to save you time from searching on your own?
Container Pot Tips
I know choosing the best container frustrates me from time to time, you will want to read these tips if you are in need of some guidance to choose the best pot for your plant?
- Be sure the container has drainage holes to prevent root rot?
- Your pot should be approximately 2-3 inches wider than the container your plant arrives in?
- Calathea’s don’t like to be transplanted, so take this into consideration as well?
- Compact roots are not a problem for this plant, so transplanting should not be done unless absolutely necessary?
- I choose sturdy planters since this is a taller growing plant, you will find square is better than tapered containers to be more stable?
Now you have a better understanding of this breathtaking plant, so you should experience a beautiful healthy houseplant for many years. Any questions feel free to leave me a comment, I am here to assist anyone growing Rare Exotic Plants?